I write this post on the eve of my husband’s 39th birthday as a love letter to him. Josh…this letter’s purpose is to show my sincerest appreciation and acknowledgment for all that you do for me and for our family.
You and I met back in 2006, when I was only twenty-years old. You being eight years my senior didn’t bother us a bit, though I can’t say that the age gap didn’t bother others, especially my father! From working together at good ole’ Too Jays, to you visiting me during my semester in NYC. From your move to live with me in Boston, while I finished college, to our wedding at Disney. From the birth of our first child in June of 2011, to the birth of our third in 2016. You were, and always have been, and will forever remain to be, the best person I know. You are my best friend and my partner in this life and I am beyond the luckiest woman in the world.
Because this is your 39th birthday I am going to give you 39 reasons why I love you, though there are many more. Here you go:
- You are honest and genuine.
- You are funny.
- You are so good-looking.
- You look me in my eyes when you talk to me.
- You are an amazing listener when I am talking about something that matters.
- You are encouraging of me.
- You are hard-working.
- You could not be a more present and involved father.
- You are a strong presence.
- You make me feel safe.
- You are fun to be around.
- You are kind-hearted.
- You have a strong sense of self.
- You have an optimistic outlook on life.
- You say “I love you” to me every night.
- You kiss me goodbye whenever you leave.
- You share your amazing family with me.
- You helped me make the three most beautiful and amazing human beings this world has ever seen.
- You are intelligent.
- You love adventure.
- You love music.
- You have a yearning to travel with your family.
- You honor our marriage vows.
- You are faithful.
- You encourage us both to be healthier versions of ourselves.
- You maintain your humor amidst challenges.
- You give of yourself to your children, even when you are exhausted.
- You treat me well.
- You show me respect.
- You tell me I am a good mother.
- You help me when I need help.
- You still hold my hand.
- You are a good person.
- You give great advice.
- You are open-minded.
- You like to try new things.
- You love our children more than anything in this world.
- You make our family you first priority.
- You work tirelessly so that I can stay home with the kids.
To top it off, I was going to include 39 reasons why the kids love you, but since 39 is a lot and they have short attention span, here are the top 5 from the oldest kiddos since the baby doesn’t have enough words, yet, to contribute.
In their own words:
- My favorite thing about Daddy is about Star Wars.
- I love Daddy because I just do.
- His smile makes me laugh.
- When he wiggles his toes, it makes me smile. (**note: we have a toe theme here I am confused about LOL)
- My favorite thing I do with Daddy is the Star Wars Convention
- I love Daddy because every time I ask him to help me with something, he always helps me.
- My favorite thing about Daddy is his hair color because I like his hair color.
- Daddy makes me smile when he smiles at me.
- Daddy makes me laugh when he tickles me.
- Daddy is my best friend because he is my Dad.
Marriage definitely isn’t easy, but you make it fun and worth it. You are literally my soul mate and you make life worth living.
I love you with all of my heart and wish for all of your dreams to come true, although I do hope a big part of them already has.
I love you Joshua David Merritt. Happy Birthday Baby!