You will probably want to hurt me for saying this and you are definitely not going to be happy with what is about to come out of my mouth.
After carrying your sweet, angelic, tiny bundle of love inside of you for nine months, I want you to do more than just deliver that baby, I want you to deliver A LOT MORE.
What? I know…you are flabbergasted, right? After all the physical and mental strength it took to carry your baby for nine months and after all of the physical and mental strength it is going to take to get that small, yet exceptional human being, out of your belly and into your arms…here I am, asking you to do MORE….what the heck is wrong with me?
Well, nothing is and you will see why.
Although it feels like I am asking for you to do something ridiculous and to do it for me — this is simply not the case. In truth, you are actually doing this “more” thing, for you and when I tell you why, well it won’t seem so ridiculous.
What is it that I want for you to deliver? I’ll tell you…
- I want you to deliver yourself patience, to deal with anyone who judges you during your pregnancy and anyone that will judge you as a parent.
- I want you to deliver yourself a break– and deliver it often — especially at those times when you are protesting that you don’t need one.
- I want you to deliver forgiveness to your spouse when he/she doesn’t say or do the right thing, all of the time.
- I want you to deliver yourself self-confidence despite the fact that your boobs are sagging, or leaking, or have quadrupled in size, just to shrink down to the size of raisins.
- I want you to deliver yourself some meals. I mean it. Get out of the kitchen and order some damn take-out.
- I want you to deliver yourself kindness and empathy. Sometimes you will not get it from outside sources and you need to be ready and willing to give it to yourself.
- I want you to deliver yourself energy and to get that energy in any way that works for you, as long as it is healthy.
- I want you to deliver yourself the freedom to make mistakes, because man oh man, mistakes will inevitably happen.
- I also want for you to deliver your children unconditional love — love that is not rooted or marked by the expectations you have for them.
You know what? I don’t think that I am asking a lot from you. I think that you are absolutely capable of delivering the “more” that I have stated here, plus some.
I would offer you “good luck,” but I don’t believe you need it. I actually believe that you already have all of the power within you to make all these deliveries happen.
Go for it…