Livin’ for the weekend, huh? Why is that? You gonna have a crazy night with the hubby watching “Dateline” on NBC or trying to stay awake for a whole on-demand movie? I bet you even have a glass of wine or two. Go You! Go You!
Yes, you are a parent now and this is what your perfect Friday or Saturday night looks like. A little playtime with the kiddies after work, then send them off to bed so that you can unwind (until the first kid wakes up or the baby starts fussing). But, do you ever get tired of the same monotonous weekend night routine? Maybe you don’t want to leave the kids with a sitter, but you’d still like to find new ways to connect with the hubby?
It is time to shake things up a bit. Here are a few ideas for in-home date nights:
- Cook a new recipe together after the kids go to bed. While you are at it, create a new cocktail, too.
- Play a game — a fun game, not scrabble. Pretend like you are back in middle school and play some truth or dare or even some twister.
- Play video games together — preferably ones that create some friendly competition.
- Sit outside on your front or back porch. No tv, no music — just drinks, the both of you and some conversation.
- If you have a pool or a hot tub, take a late night dip.
- Make and share an interactive dessert, i.e. chocolate fondue, homemade ice-cream, a soufflé.
- Try to draw pictures of each other. For most of us that are not very artistic, this will get the both of you plenty of laughs, I suspect. Think Titanic, but not naked and not so serious.
- Do a blind food tasting. Blindfold each other and sample an array of ten or so foods with your partner, then switch.
- Teach your partner a skill that you have and they don’t. Then let them do the same for you.
- Host your own open mic night. Sing for your partner and then let them tell you jokes. You may feel vulnerable doing this, but it is sure to get you both some laughs and admiration for one another.
Hope you enjoyed the list! Maybe next Friday I will implement my own advice, but for now, I’ll go back to watching Dateline (shrug).